Sunday 1 January 2012

Dutch Baby Pancake Anyone?



Dutch baby!


The Original Pancake House in Eugene, Oregon is an institution.  The only reason I went there when I was in college was to eat the Dutch Baby Pancake also known as German Pancakes,  and nothing else!

This pancake is derived from the German pancake and is said to be made popular by a Seattle cafe.  The daughter of the owner called them Dutch Baby.

Sprinkled with powdered sugar and a twist of lemon, it did it for me and helped me make it through the tough academic probation semesters at the University of Oregon, home of Animal House;  double secret probation.  Yes, I'm a Duck and proud to be one.

My adopted American mum Jackie Swenson gave me the recipe a long time ago so here it is for starting 2012!  Rose Bowl Champs, Go Ducks!

This is how you do it:

2 eggs, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 lemon. 2 tablespoons of butter (not in photo but in the skillet)


Whip up the mix but not too fine, leave some lumps.


Pour mix into your cast iron skillet pan which has already been heated with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.


Can you smell the butter!



Preheat oven to 220C or 428F and bake for about 10min until golden brown.


Squeeze some lemon.


Sieve some powdered sugar.

Grate some nutmeg and we are set!!

We are all set; bringing the Ducth Baby to Singapore!







Please also check out : www.russelwongphoto.com


2 comments:

  1. Hahah these are one of my favorite pancakes, I've been making it in my fish grill here and eating it with yuzu juice. It also makes for a great dessert for those times you have unexpected guests if you pile on some whipped cream and marinated berries.

    ReplyDelete